Programs at Joggins are very hands-on and acknowledge all of the learning styles: visual, auditory and kinetic. Customize your visit by choosing from the following adventure programs (prices include tax and are per student).
Guided interpretive gallery tour (30 min) + Guided beach tour (30 min): $7.50.
Curriculum-oriented activities take about 30–45 minutes and range in price from $1–5/student.
For university students
45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Quadrat surveys — learn about the biodiversity of fossils at Joggins and methods for sampling and estimating density ($5/student)
- Stratigraphic column — students will create their own column while learning about rock types, geology, and geologic principles such as: original horizontality, superposition, and faunal succession ($5/student)
For elementary students
- Fossil casting/painting — learn how some fossils are formed by making your own to paint and bring home! ($3/student)
- Fossil excavation — learn how to dig for fossils with our excavation kits (students take home their own excavated “fossil”) while also learning about rules for fossil hunting in Nova Scotia. ($3.50/student)
- Scavenger hunt — learn more about why Joggins is world-famous by taking part in our interpretive gallery scavenger hunt ($1/student)
- A Long Time! — discover the major periods in the history of Earth and how people fit into this timeline; developed by Sharon Janulaw ($1/student)
For junior high & high school students
- Natural Selection Game — simulate the process of natural selection with this exciting board game and see what it takes for predators and prey to survive! Developed by Robert P. Gendron. ($2/student)
- CSI: Joggins — join the Carboniferous Scene Investigation crew and learn about paleoecology and how to reconstruct past environments by looking for clues in rocks and fossils ($3/student)
- Geological timeline exercise — take a 3.6 billion year journey through time with our hands-on exercise that teaches students how the world has changed over geological time; developed by the Atlantic Geoscience Society ($1/student)
Our Interpreters are trained in first aid and CPR.