Now Hiring Custodian
We are currently accepting applications for a full-time, seasonal custodian. Applications can be sent to <firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications being accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
- Joggins Fossil Institute Association
- Title of Immediate Supervisor
- Director of Administration
- Joggins Fossil Centre and Cliffs
- Anticipated Start Date
- July 26, 2021
- Anticipated End Date
- October 9, 2021
- Hours per Week / Per Year
- Approximately 25 hrs. (April/May) 37.5 hrs. (June/September) 25 hrs. (October)
- $14.35/hour minimum
The Custodian is responsible for addressing facility and property maintenance and housekeeping of the physical plant and grounds of the Joggins Fossil Centre and Joggins Fossil Cliffs UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Custodian will determine the need for repairs and preventative maintenance and will carry out necessary maintenance and repairs or will oversee the procurement and delivery of contracted services as necessary.
- Opening season inspection of highway signage for repair and stabilization
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and
- procedure; Ensure bathroom area is cleaned prior to the end of shift
- Vacuum air vents/floor and equipment in the Server Room
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture in the office area on a weekly basis; sweep, mop,
- or vacuum floors all entrances); empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; clean all glass windows/doors in building (including gallery); replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc. Assist with clearing and storing furniture, and cleaning area once events are completed.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets. (Big Ideas Room)
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, windows, furniture, etc.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing debris from sidewalks, parking area and stairs using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Maintain/Tidy outdoor storage area on a daily basis for safety regulations
- Attend to emergencies when necessary.
- Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products,
- First Aid, CPR, and working relationships.
- Handle recycling materials.
- Monitor janitorial inventory supplies; Order supplies when required
- Support and enforce all policies, Institute and Governmental (such as OHS) rules.
- Institute health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Enforce and support policies established by the Joggins Fossil Institute Board
- Perform related duties as required.
Education and specific training
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience as a custodian or building service
Minimum of two (2) years work experience as a custodian or building service worker in a commercial or industrial setting,
Equivalent combination of training education or experience.
- WHMIS Certificate – valid through term position
- First Aid/CPR – valid through term position
- Criminal Record Check/Child abuse check
- Knowledge of the WCB regulations and safe work practices.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License.